Extension Education Institute (EEI) is a regional level institute with the main mandate of providing capacity building to middle-level extension functionaries of the departments and organizations of agricultural development, particularly in the discipline of Extension Education. The Department of Agriculture and Cooperation (DAC), Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of India has established four EEIs for four regions of the country: EEI (Southern Region) at Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, EEI (Northern Region) at Nilokheri, Haryana, EEI (Western Region) at Anand, Gujarat, and EEI (NE Region) at Jorhat, Assam. EEI (NE Region) was established in 1987 at Assam Agricultural University (AAU), Jorhat to cater to the need of capacity building of the extension functionaries of the NE states. It functions under the administrative control of Assam Agricultural University (AAU), Jorhat on the basis of annual Memorandum of Understanding between DAC, MoA, GOI, New Delhi and AAU, Jorhat. The DAC, MoA, GOI provides the fund for the institute under its non-plan budget head. The operational area of EEI (NE Region) covers nine states which include, Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim, Tripura and West Bengal.
- The vision of the Institute
Achieving excellence as a premier institute in facilitating capacity building of extension functionaries for sustainable development of agriculture in NE states of India.
- The mission of the Institute
- Developing competencies of extension personnel in providing professional extension service to the farming community.
- Enhancing the effectiveness of extension systems in planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programmes and projects for sustainable agricultural development.
- Developing and improving approaches, methodologies, tools and techniques relating to training and extension education.